Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Left Behind

As I was finishing a personal project photographing an abandoned hospital in my town, I realized that I was missing part of the story. Everywhere I looked, there were items left behind, scattered all over the floor, around the grounds, and crammed into over flowing waste paper baskets. I decided that I would take items that I felt were pertinent to the story or caught my eye in some way. Instead of photographing them in their found environments, I decided I would take them off premise and and re-create what I was feeling at the time.

The cross and the Union Bible were found outside the buildings along side the food service entrance. I have no idea why they were there or how they got there, or even why they were left behind. They stood out amongst all the garbage created from clean up crews. I was inspired to take them into the studio and create an image that had emotion and feeling and convey how I felt when I stumbled upon them.

No comments:

Post a Comment